Will the state and/or the IRS withhold my tax refund if I file jointly with my husband, if heowesstate sales tax?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will the state and/or the IRS withhold my tax refund if I file jointly with my husband, if heowesstate sales tax?

My husband opened a business and failed to pay all of his sales taxes. When the business failed he entered in an repayment agreement with NYS, which remains in place and current. We have filed separate for the last several years but, with the salary increases that I have had, filing jointly would be better. Will my refund be delayed, offset or otherwise reduced because of his debt? He has assumed full and sole liability and that is on the record.

Asked on January 11, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If he has assumed full responsibility of the debt, do you mean he as the individual or the business itself. If it was the business on whose behalf he has agreed to the debt (if this is the scenario) and not as a personal guarantee to hold the debt, was the company a corporation, a limited liability company or other form? You may be held liable for that debt but understand as a matter of law, you and your spouse (whether he incurred the debt as the company or himself) may be both held to pay off monies owed because it may be seen as a marital debt. You should consult with your accountant and also any tax forms your husband signed agreeing or acknowledging the debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption