Will the judge continue my case if I dont have a lawyer?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will the judge continue my case if I dont have a lawyer?

Im 21 years old, First time offender no
priors. I was cought with a marijuana
pipe and partially under the influence.
Im not sure if I need legal
representation for my case today and I
dont want to represent myself. If I ask
for a continuence do to the fact of lack
of legal representation will the judge
continue my case a week or two so I
can obtain legal representation.

Asked on January 9, 2019 under Criminal Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is very likely that the judge will continue your case so you can retain an attorney, because 1) there is a strong public and judicial policy in favor of making sure that everyone who wants a lawyer has a chance to obtain one; and 2) denying you a reasonable opportunity to hire a laywer would provide an execellent ground for appeal--and trial court judges hate being reversed on appeal, and so tend to not do things providing an easy basis for appeal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption