Will Probate

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will Probate

I have a will drawn up in Georgia. My representative executor lives in Oregon.
I may move to Pennsylvania. I want my representative, upon my death, to have the
easiest time in fulfilling my wishes as stated in my will. Considering the
locations listed above, does it matter where I am living, where my will was drawn
up, and where my representative is living? I want to make their work as easy as
possible. What do you suggest? Thanks.

Asked on November 30, 2018 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, a Will that is properly executed in one state is valid when you move to another state.  If, however, one of the provisions in the Will is invalid in another state, generally only that section is considered invalid and the rest of the Will remains intact.  Also, you should always check local laws on out of state executors. Some states do not allow it.  It is always a good idea to consult with an attorney in the new state as to your present Will.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption