will or beneficiaries?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

will or beneficiaries?

i’ve just found out my wife made her
will without telling me and put half of
the house to her daughter and two her
two grandchildren. Now what do i do
since i work very hard to keep a nice
home. Her daughter and grandkids are
lazy and don’t work. i have one
grandson i found out i had late in life.
He goes to school and works. what do
i do now since she has already done
without telling me. Do i put my half
under my grandson name. The house
is only value at 359,000 what can i do?
what’s my right? should i let her know i
know about her doing her own will?
Thank you

Asked on April 8, 2017 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any "rights" in this regard: any adult, including a married one, may create any will he or she wants and leave his or estate to anyone he or she feels like. You can certainly create or modify you own will to reflect what she has done; you even divorce her, of course; but you have no right to affect or alter her will because you do not like its terms. As to whether you confront her or not--that's a marital issue, not a legal one: you can confront her if you like, but you need to decide what makes sense, not just practically but emotionally, for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption