Can an out of state Will be accepted in another state?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an out of state Will be accepted in another state?

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your out of state Will is valid in your new state of residence so long as it was executed ac­­­­­­­­­cording to the laws of the state where you previously resided. That having been said, even if your Will is valid in your new home state, it is impor­tant to have it reviewed. Due to differing state laws you may want to execute a new one. For example, if there are restrictions on who can be named to serve as your executor.   

Note:  A Will is good indefinitely or at least until it is revoked. However, based on life changes (death, divorce, the birth of a child, etc.) you may want to periodically update your Will.  This can be done via an amendment known as a "codicil" (this works best if the changes are minor) or by executing a new Will entirely (if the changes are more extensive). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption