Will my soon to be husband’s child support affect my income?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my soon to be husband’s child support affect my income?

My fiance has 2 kids that he is paying child support for. He is in arrears with them both. I just want to know if my income or income taxes will be affected due to us getting married? No, we do not have any joint accounts.

Asked on August 21, 2018 under Family Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are not personally responsible for his child support debts--your own income cannot be garnished for his child support, and anything you owned pre-marriage (and can prove was pre-marriage) is also safe. But his share of anythig bought or acquiring during marriage, and his share of money in joint bank or investment accounts, is something that his children's legal guardians or the state can reach and use to fulfill his obligations, if he fails to pay. So for example, if you buy a house with him, a lien could be put on it to secure payment; if you and he contribute money to a joint account, money in that came from him could potentially be taken; etc. And of course, his income could be garnished if he does not pay, which obviously affects your household budget.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption