Is my mom legally allowed to come and go as she pleases once she moves out?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my mom legally allowed to come and go as she pleases once she moves out?

My mom and dad are divorced. They have a home together and are currently living together. She is property owner and his name is on the loan for the house. She is moving out in a month. She wants to be able to come back to the house as much as possible. But my dad does not want her to be able to come to the house without his permission once she is gone.

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your mother who is moving out of the home she shares with your father presently as a result of their divorce can come and go with respect to the home depends upon what the final marital dissolution order states and whether or not she still remains upon legal title to this home after the divorce is finalized.

If your mother remains on legal title to the home after the divorce is finalized, she has every right to come and go from this home as a property owner subject to any court order restricting this access. As such, it is very important for your mother to carefully read the final dissolution order in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to her by your father over the home and vice versa. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption