Will my misdemeanor retail theft case show up on my background check?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my misdemeanor retail theft case show up on my background check?

Even if they ordered me to take retail theft class? I have a job offer that’s conducting a background check.

Asked on July 28, 2015 under Criminal Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Any conviction (and/or arrests) will potentially show up on a background check.  Until you or the court takes steps to seal or remove the conviction, it will remain a part of the public record. 

If someone with the clerk's office forgot to report the conviction to your state's central database, then you have a chance of avoiding detection... but the best way to know what will show up it to simply request your own criminal history.  From there, you will know exactly what is being said about your history and whether or not you need to dispute any inaccuracies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption