If I have a restraining order in place will my divorce go through the same as if I didn’t have one?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a restraining order in place will my divorce go through the same as if I didn’t have one?

I do not want my husband to know where I’ve been shopping since I have the restraining order against him. I was curious if it is necessary to have to provide the years worth of bank statements? Also, how do I avoid putting my address on every court form? Will there be any differences in the divorce vs. a divorce without a restraining order?

Asked on June 10, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you and your husband are separated (either legal separation ordered by the court or otherwise), you will need to provide an accounting in some form to your husband's divorce counsel or to him if he is not represented. To do otherwise could be construed as you hiding debts and assets from your husband which is not taken lightly by a court. As to the addresses used, you should consider discussing with divorce counsel whether you could get a post office box at a UPS store or something to that effect so that your address is not used or if you could use your lawyer's office address. You are wise to use caution especially when there is a restraining order in place, so your attorney may need to consider all of these factors to determine whether a limited accounting is prudent. If you are legally separated, you may not have to consider those issues, because they could be considered separate debts and assets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption