Can I sue if I rented a room out to a roommatewho didn’t pay the deposit and has violated the roommate agreement?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue if I rented a room out to a roommatewho didn’t pay the deposit and has violated the roommate agreement?

I have a room mate agreement that my roommate violated by not paying the deposit and skipping out by not finding a replacement roommate for the remaining lease. The agreement clearly states they are responsible for finding a new room mate and if they do not find a replacement roommate, then they are responsible for their share of the remaining lease.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a roommate agreement that your former roommate breached, you seeminlgy have a factual basis for bringing a lawsuit against him or her for any damages that you may have incurred. I would write the former roommate a demand letter setting forth a stated time period for payment. Keep a copy of the demand letter for future use and need. If there is no response to the demand letter by the stated date, your recourse would be to file a legal action against him or her.

In the interim, I would be diligently looking to find a replacement roommate to mitigate any damages that you may have as a result of the absence of the roommate that you have written about paying his or her share of the rental.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption