Can someone’s wages be garnished due to a judgement?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone’s wages be garnished due to a judgement?

I live in MS.

Asked on November 25, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Mississippi

Answers:

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In a handful of states there is protection against wage garnishment. However, MS is not one of them. Additionally, while some states that do allow wage garnishment, they amount of wages that can be garnished is lower than what federal law allows. Again, unfortunately for you, MS is not one of them.

MS follows federal law. This means that up to 25% of your wages can be taken as part of the garnishment; the remaining 75% will be being paid to you as your usual earnings.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption