Will I receive a violation of probation for a DUI ifI subsequently recieved a drunk in public in a different state?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I receive a violation of probation for a DUI ifI subsequently recieved a drunk in public in a different state?

I received a DUI in CA in 12/09. I was formally charged in court with a typical minimum sentence in 02/10, since this was my first and only offense ever. I received “summary probation” for 3 years in CA. I live in MD, but was recently arrested on a charge of drunk in public in VA. The cops and magistrate said it was a very minor offense and even prepayable (class IV misdemeanor). Will CA find out about this? If so, will it be a violation of probation? What can I expect to happen?

Asked on August 30, 2010 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

States that are part of what is known as the Interstate Drivers License Compact share information regarding DUI's and DWI's so that they keep abreast of the goings on of their drivers.  California and Maryland are part of the compact but you were not driving, correct?  If it is a violation of your probation depends on what the terms were in California, but I would assume that getting arrested is a violation of most.  Were you a minor at the time of the incident in California?  And you pled guilty rather than go through a lengthy trial and jail time?  It is a guilty conviction and remains on your record so I would assume that it will come up at some point.  Seek legal help from an attorney in California.  Summary probabtion is offered when there is an assumption that the guilty party does not require constant monitoring.  You do not want it revoked.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption