Will I go to jail for theift of 250 worth of clothes

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I go to jail for theift of 250 worth of clothes

I was caught trying to take merchandise from
LLBEAN and was given a summounds to court
charge reads ‘theift by unauthorized taking or

Asked on June 20, 2017 under Criminal Law, Maine


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, assuming that this is your first offense, you will not receive jail time. However, a shoplifting charge is a criminal offense so you should try to consult with a defense attorney. They might be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality, etc. And the sooner a lawyer gets involved in your case, the better the potential outcome. Even if the charge doesn't get dropped, for a first offense, you can possibly receive what is known as "diversion" ("deferred adjudication", etc.). This is an alternative sentencing program whereby you will plead guilty, receive probation, and upon completion, your plea will be withdrawn and the charges dismissed. Typically, your "rap sheet" (i.e. criminal history record) will automatically be cleared (although in some jurisdictions you may have to apply to get it "expunged" (i.e. cleared). However, it should be noted that diversion is only allowed for first time offenses. Consequently, if you get into trouble again it will not be available to you. That's why if you get an attorney who can get the case dismissed, you'll be eligible for diversion if ever needed in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption