Will I get time in jail for a first offense misdemeanor?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I get time in jail for a first offense misdemeanor?

I’m 20 years old and this past Friday I was arrested for unlawful use of the telephone. The charge is a unclassified misdemeanor, as well this is my first offense. Will I get jail time if I plead guilty? Also, I contacted the judge who issued the warrant and supposed to be at my court hearing. Will I get jail time just for doing that?

Asked on March 18, 2016 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You usually don't get jail time for your first offense.  Contacting the judge is not appropriate, but it won't get you jailed either.  It may get you a talking to about court procedure, but that's it. 
Before you enter a plea, talk to an attorney that handles offenses in the court where your case is pending to see what options are available to you in that court.  Some offer diversion programs where you can earn dismissals for first time offenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption