Will I face jail time ifIdrive with no license while on probation for a DUI?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I face jail time ifIdrive with no license while on probation for a DUI?

I was convicted of a DUI 16 months ago and sentenced to 2 years probation, 365 days in jail with 363 days held. My probation requires I do not operate a vehicle without an interlock device and license, which I have neither. Today I needed to drive for work and was pulled over for going 35 mph in a 25. Should I contact my POand explain what happened or wait for him to find out from monitoring my record since this is a different district?

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were pulled over by law enforcement and cited for speeding while you were on probation where you could not operate a vehicle without an interlock device or license and you were in violation of your order of probation, there is a good chance that you might be facing a second criminal matter for violation of your probation resulting from the speeding ticket.

I suggest that you first contact a criminal defense attorney about what happened and rely upon his or her advice as to how to deal with what might come down the road for you. Possibly the officer that cited you made no reference to you about not having an interlock device on the vehicle you were driving nor cited you for not having a license. If not, then you may have ducked a possible bad situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption