Will I be sent to prison or jail or something like that?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be sent to prison or jail or something like that?

This is because I just got my first ever speeding ticket about an hour ago. The officer clocked me as going 58 in a 35 mph zone. After some looking I see that this can be charged as reckless driving. I’m 18, I don’t have experience with the law at any capacity and just need to know what’s going to happen to me. The citation I got is without any dollar amount on it and it just has information for a court date and the offence typed on it.

Asked on May 31, 2018 under General Practice, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no prison time for speeding--just a fine and likely some points on your license. If you have an otherwise clean driving record, it is likely that the prosecutor will let you plead to a lesser offense (e.g. fewer miles over speed limit); make sure you get to court early and speak to the prosecutor.
Really make sure to show up for court (or at least hire a lawyer to show up for you): a failure to appear can result in a "bench warrant" for your arrest for nonappearance. Not showing up to court is what could potentially get you jail time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption