Will I be responsible for the house if I leave?

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be responsible for the house if I leave?

We are trying to get a loan modification on the house we live in and are trying to sell it. We will be declaring bankruptcy after all of this. I want to know if I can get out of the marriage now.

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There are simply too many possibilities here for a simple answer.  One thing that I do know, is that you and your wife would not be able to file a single, joint bankruptcy after the divorce, and quite possibly not after the divorce has been filed, especially if you are no longer living together.

You should start by talking to a Pennsylvania divorce lawyer, if possible one who also does bankruptcy work.  While you might have to pay for a consultation (bankruptcy attorneys these days are very busy, and working long hours), it's almost certainly your cheapest option in the long run.  One place you can start looking for this lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption