Will I be forced to pay if we were both at fault but other person won’t admit to fault

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be forced to pay if we were both at fault but other person won’t admit to fault

I had a car accident I was going northbound on a big intersection and was going to change lanes to make a right at the intersection when the vehicle change lanes and I hit him on the driver sides door. We were both at fault for not paying attention and changing lanes at the same time. However, the other person insists that its my fault and that I have to pay for his damages. What can I do?

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can refuse to pay any amount more than you feel is fair (or that you are comfortable paying): unless you are sued and lose, any payment by you is voluntary.
He can take whatever action he deems is appropriate, whether that is suing you himself or filing a claim with his insurer (if he has relevant insurance; i.e. collision coverage), in which case the insurer *may* later sue you to recover any amounts it paid out to him. If you are sued, the person or company suing you has to prove your fault to recover money; you in turn can try to refute their case by providing evidence or testimony showing the other driver at fault, too. You can also, if sued, countersue the other driver for any damage or losses you incurred. The court will decide who was at fault, and how much, and apportion costs or damages appropriately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption