Will I be breaking the law if I drink while under probation for DWI?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be breaking the law if I drink while under probation for DWI?

I was underage when I was arrested but now I’ve turned 21 and I haven’t had my trial yet. In the likelihood that I am placed in unsupervised probation, will this require abstinence from alcohol even though I’m now of age? Also, will I be able to be around people legally drinking while on probation?

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As part of your sentence the court will make certain orders.  The court may make an order that you abstain from using alcohol or being in a place where alcohol is sold (Bar)

Because you are on unsupervised probation, you are responsible for complying with the court's orders.  If you get caught, you could be held in contempt of court and face further incarceration, classes and fines.

That said, unless you get in further trouble it will be hard for the court to find out that you are around alcohol.  Note, you are probably not in violation of the terms and conditions of your probation by being around people that are drinking.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption