Will I be arrested if I change my statement about a domestic violence?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be arrested if I change my statement about a domestic violence?

I reported my boyfriend and told the cops that he tried to strangle me and that he punched me. I want to drop the charges but the D.A. won’t let me. So I told them that not everything I said in my statement was true and now they are threatening to arrest me for lying to the police.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In many states in this country there are statutes against making a false police report as well as lying/giving false information to a law enforcement officer with respect to a criminal investigation. Potentially you could be charged with a crime for deliberately giving false information to law enforcement.

Given the unfortunate situation that you are in, I recommend that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney as to the best way to resolve the siutation as to you and the charges presently pending as to your boyfriend.

Good luck to both of you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption