Will I be arrested at the DMV for an outstanding warrant?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be arrested at the DMV for an outstanding warrant?

I violated my probation for DUI by failing to appear. There is a warrant out for me on which I plan to turn myself in after Christmas. I am now eligible to reinstate my driver’s license. If I go in to the DMVto get my license will it have me arrested?

Asked on December 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Normally if you fail to appear there will be a hold on your license. Since you said you are eligible for license renewal, it is likely that DMV would not give you a license, but they would probably do nothing on the warrant. If you are stopped by the police, however, it might result in an arrest though.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption