Will I be able to take things from our house if we separate even though my name isn’t on anything?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be able to take things from our house if we separate even though my name isn’t on anything?

My ex-husband and I are going through problems and want to seperate. However, the only problem is that everything in this house is under his name. He and I have been together for over 10 years. The reason we separated is because we wanted a bigger house and my credit didn’t allow us to get it because we were marriaged. So we got a divorce and he went and bought the house himself but we were still together. If I have proof that we were together this whole time, is there anyway I can take anything from this house that I helped pay for? Anything we bought we bought together?

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You understand I think that you are not in a good place legally right now.  And you need to go and speak with an attorney right away about the stuation.  He bought the house after the divorce.  It would be considered - at the onset - hsi alone.  You are not married.  What happened to the proceeds from the other house?  Did they go directly in to this house? Personal property is always personal property and big items purchased together would be co ownership. Please get legal help.  Some one need to see what happened on paper here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption