Will I be able to drop burglary and menacing charges?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be able to drop burglary and menacing charges?

My ex recently kicked my door down and took a tv he bought for me because we
broke up and he wanted the tv back. In the heat of the moment the police were
called and I pressed charges. However I do not feel like that was necessary and he
already returned the television. We were both very angry and were arguing the
whole day and eventually this is what it led to. It was a fit of rage on both our parts
and I do not wish to continue pressing charges. Would I be able to drop these
charges before the scheduled court date? This only happened 7 days ago and there
has not been a court date set yet.

Asked on January 9, 2017 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not to prosecute a case is up to the DA's office, not you the alleged victim. If there is enough other evidence to support a conviction, the case can still move forward. While it would be better to have your cooperation it is not be necessary. Further, if you are subpeonaed to testify in court but don't appear, you can be subject to fines and even jail time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption