Will I be able to collect unemployment if I reject an offer of employment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be able to collect unemployment if I reject an offer of employment?

The company I currently work for is terminating out employment and transitioning us to a new company. The new company offered me the same position with the same pay but will not

offer a benefits package or PTO. If I reject this offer will I be able to collect unemployment

Asked on September 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Most likely you will *not* be eligible for unemployment benefits. You are not allowed to reject a broadly "comparable" job and receive unemployment; if offered such an approximately comparable job you have to take it. Even if you are not receiving a benefits package or PTO, if yo have the same pay and the same title, it is highly likely the unemployment office/labor department would consider this job comparabe enough that you would have to take the job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption