Will i automatically go to jail??

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will i automatically go to jail??

i have a 3 year old charge charge for home invasion (3rd degree) and completed 67 days and 6 months probation. I made a stupid decision to commit retail fraud from a store and was arrested. I posted a $50 bond and have to go to court tomorrow. I live in the poverty level. If I go to jail I will loose my apartment and everything in it. I could loose my car and possibly the joint rights of my children. I don’t have a lawyer. Do I plead not guilty or not guilty? Is it worth hiring a criminal law attorney to keep me from going to jail? I’m in Marquette County, MI.

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you show up for the arraignment, you need to advise the court that you cannot afford legal counsel and request the appointment of a court appointed counsel. Be prepared to show your income information to show that you are entitled to court appointed counsel.

If you are not appointed counsel, it is in your best interests to retain a criminal defense attorney regarding your current situation. As to you automatically going to jail, I have no information to comment on your question.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption