Will distribution

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will distribution

My parents Will stated a 50/50 split between me and my sister. I was the caregiver for my mother and father for several years before they passed on. After my mother passed, a meeting took place between my sister and myself she told me that I was responsible for saving the house because both would have needed full-time care and housing for at least the 4 previous years. She said,

Asked on January 3, 2019 under Estate Planning, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't change how the money was distributed from the will, because the will has to be distributed as per how it was written.
However, you could potentially sue your sister to try to get money from her. You would sue her for breach of contract, or violation of an oral agreement between the two of you that you would do most of the work in cleaning out the house, prepping it for sale, etc., in exchange for which she would pay you the agreed upon portion of the proceeds of the home. If you could convince a court--which may be difficult, if there was nothing in writing between the two of you--that the two of you had an agreement that you'd be paid for doing the work, a court could order her to pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption