What and when isthe best way to gift a house to someone?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What and when isthe best way to gift a house to someone?

My parents have a Will that states their house is to be given to me after their passing. In the state of GA, do I need to get the Will probated? Also, should I have their house deed put in my name to protect them in case they one day have to be in a facility/nursing home?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Estate Planning, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to answer your question is to actually know what your parents' financial situation is for estate planning purposes. Do they have adequate health insurance or not? Do they have substantial assets or not?

If you are to receive their home in their current wills when they pass, the best way to prevent their assets being drained for health care in the future is to have their home appraised and that they gift to you via a gift deed each year via a recorded document upon the home a certain percentage of it up to the amount allowed under IRS guidelines tax free where a gift tax return is filed where no gift tax would be triggered. The gift deeds would state that they have a life estate in the property.

Over the years your interest in the home would increase and theirs would decrease yet they would always have a life estate in the home until they pass.

I suggest they and you consult with a wills and trust attorney regarding this situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption