Will an old expired policy cover a claim reported to have occurred during coverage?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will an old expired policy cover a claim reported to have occurred during coverage?

I owned a rental property in N.Y. from
1995 to 2003. During that time a family
lived in one of the apartments and is
now filing a lawsuit claiming lead based
paint poisoning of one or more children.
The insurance company at that time is
researching the policy to determine
coverages. In general if there was
liability insurance coverage in the
policy will the insurance company now
defend the claim?

Asked on April 27, 2018 under Insurance Law, Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The insurance policy will cover the claim because it occurred while the insurance policy was still in effect.  
If the family's lawsuit is not barred by the statute of limitations, the insurance company will provide you with an attorney to defend you at no cost to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption