Will an ironclad pre-nup from one state be just as ironclad in another?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will an ironclad pre-nup from one state be just as ironclad in another?

I recently inherited a large sum from my mother. The lawyer for the estate told me that my pre-nup, signed 7 years ago, might not be valid in the state where I live now or in the state where I’m moving to. Therefore, he is holding up transfer of the inheritance until I’m sure I don’t need a trust or other vehicle to protect it. I can’t seem to find anyone who knows the answer to whether or not I will be leaving that inheritance open to my spouse should we divorce even if it remains in an account solely in my name as my other assets are. Do I need an enforcement order? How do I get one?

Asked on March 26, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

My experience is that there is no such thing as an iron clad pre-nuptial agreement. Such agreements are always subject to some possible claim to eliminate them in the way they are written.

However, if you inherited a large sum of moneyfrom your mother, under the laws of all sattes in this country, an inheritance is deemed personal and separate property of the person who is to get it. In your case, it seems that the inheritance would be separate property. To maintain the classification of this property as separate, you should place it in a bank account or stock brokerage account under your own name as separate property and continue to keep it as such. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney further concerning your question to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption