Will a pending misdemeanor larceny citation that I haven’t been to court for yet, show up on a background check for a job?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will a pending misdemeanor larceny citation that I haven’t been to court for yet, show up on a background check for a job?

Asked on April 16, 2015 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the type of background check.  On general background checks that the public usually see, data doesn't normally appear until there has been a final conviction or disposition.  However, if the background check is for a governmental entity or law enforcement, then the arrest would show up, even though it has not resulted in a conviction or final disposition. 

Even if something does not appear on a background check, part of its details will still be available through general public records.  If an employer, for example, is curious about an arrest, they could send a runner to the court where you case is being handled and request copies of records that are available.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption