Can a misdemeanor ever be taken off my record?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a misdemeanor ever be taken off my record?

 I was 17 at time of offense and this was my first time in trouble with the law.

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes.  It appears that you where a juvenile when this happened.  So you where probably adjudacted as a deliquent.  Because it was a deliquency in the juvenile court the appropriate course of action would to have your juvenile record sealed.

Even if you were not a juvenile you can still have your record expunged.  You will have to consult your states case law to determine when a misdemeanor is eligible for expungement.  Once the appropriate amount of time has elapsed you file a petition, usually in the court that sentenced you, for the expungement.

Either way, expungement or recorded sealed, it will be off your record.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption