Will a deferred petty theft ticket show up on a background check for a job?

I got a ticket but I did not get fingerprinted or put in jail. Iwent to court to get it deferred and it will be done in 2 months if I stay out of trouble.

Asked on April 6, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma

Answers:

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best thing for you to do is to run a back ground check on yourself.  Although the way you explained the situation does not technically seem like an "arrest" I think that it may indeed show  up if a check is done.  It depends on how thorough the heck is and what it is being used for.  For example, a Department of Investigations check would most likely show it.  A check for credit by a landlord for a rental may not.  I would pay the money and do the deepest check you can to see what is lurking.  One you know then you will be able to make a plan to removing the items that can be.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.