Will a bankrupcy filing stop a property seizure by the county government?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will a bankrupcy filing stop a property seizure by the county government?

I owe property taxes from 3 years ago; my home went into foreclosure. However, the county gave me another year to pay the 12k before they seize my house. In spite of all my effort, I am unable to pay the tax due. Consequently, in 2 weeks the sheriff will seize my house.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


Michael Duffy / Duffy Law, LLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally no, bankruptcy will not discharge tax obligations. Unfortunately if you're unable to pay the amount due or work out a payment plan, the government can tax action against you to collect regardless. However, a successful bankruptcy discharge could potentially eliminate a great deal of the other debt you owe (and you would not necessarily lose your home), allowing you to pay the taxes due. Feel free to contact me to discuss your bankruptcy options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption