Will Ihave to pay child support for a child that isnt mine?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will Ihave to pay child support for a child that isnt mine?

My wife and Ihave been separated for almost 14 years with no divorce. We have 2 children together which are almost grown. We took turns taking care of the kids. She had another relationship which resulted in a child which I know isn’t mine; she was in a different state and still is. Now that state is trying to come after me for child support. I had a court date but unfornatunely I missed it so now there is a default. Will I have to pay back child support on the 2 kids even though we are still married?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to get legal help here as soon as you can.  There is a general presumption that children born during a marriage are children of the marriage and so that is why the child support agency is coming after you. But you have a right to request that there be a determination as to paternity of the child.  Your missing the court date is not fatal to the outcome but it will just take a lot more paper work on your end to vacate the default and then request the DNA testing be done.  It can be overwhelming but in the end you should not have to pay support for a child that is not yours.  Be aware, though, that a Court will not want a child to become a ward of the state in any way.  Get help.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption