Wife wants a divorce.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wife wants a divorce.

My wife wants to divorce me and is seeing an attorney today for free legal advice
to learn how much I should pay her. She wants to do this through a mediator. My
wife is asking for my taxes and other financial information. Do I give it to her?
Should I be looking for a divorce lawyer myself? I need guidance on what I
should and should not do.

Asked on October 21, 2019 under Family Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Mediation is voluntary for both parties, so if she wants to see this and you do not provide it, she could refuse to mediate. If she refuses to mediate, then if she wants a divorce, she will file an actual divorce case. In a divorce case, in family court, she will absolutely have the right to see this information and documentation, since it is highly relevant to deciding about support and splitting assets. So if you and she cannot work this out voluntarily (e.g. through mediation, not a trial), she will be able to get it. That being the case, you should provide it--though that said, if she is seeing a lawyer and getting legal advice, you should, too, or else you will be at a disadvantage. So see an attorney and follow his/her advice.
For future reference: in any sort of litigation (legal case), if a document or information is relevant, the other side can get it, unless it is "privileged" (e.g. something from or produced by an attorney, which would be protected by attorney-client privilege).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption