What are my rights to repossession of a car that my soon-to-be-ex-wife refuses to make timely payments on?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to repossession of a car that my soon-to-be-ex-wife refuses to make timely payments on?

Wife and I seperated 5 years ago; the car is solely in my name. We agreed that payments were to be made by due date by her giving me the money and I would then pay. She was 15 days late last month and has yet to pay this month (20 days late). I took the car back into my possession. Does she have any recourse on me doing this?

Asked on August 23, 2011 Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well, depending on what your separation agreement says she could indeed have recourse.  We need to establish some things here.  First, was the car yours prior to marriage? Generally is an asset is purchased during the marriage with marital funds (pay is considered marital one you are married) then it is marital property and it does not matter whose name the asset is in. If you agreed to give her the car and you took it back then you breached the agreement and she can come after you for that.  Yes. I know: your credit score.  But you should have thought of that 5 years ago.  Get some legal help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption