If my wife is being sued for unpaid credit card debt, can have the garnishment transferred against my wages?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife is being sued for unpaid credit card debt, can have the garnishment transferred against my wages?

This is the 2nd wage garnishment in the last 12 months.

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment against your wife for an unpaid credit card debt, if the judgment creditor is willing, an agreement in writing can be entered into by you, the judgment creditor and your wife where your wages would be garnished as opposed to hers.

However, the judgment creditor is not required to enter into such an agreement. I suggest that your wife try and enter into a monthly installment payment plan to pay off the judgment creditor. Any such agreement needs to be in writing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption