If my wife was in an auto accident and had $50 k in medical bills, how much should I start for settlement and settle at what range?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife was in an auto accident and had $50 k in medical bills, how much should I start for settlement and settle at what range?

Asked on November 17, 2014 under Personal Injury, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There's no simple answer. First, you need to figure out the most you could reasonably get if you went to trial and won. That's typically (more or less) the sum of:

1) Your out-of-pocket, or unreimbursed by insurance, medical bills; you cannot collect compensation for bills paid by your insurer for you.

2) Any property (e.g. car) damage not paid by insurance.

3) Lost wages, if any; and also reduced or diminished future earning potential, if any.

4) Other out of pocket costs (e.g. if a home aide of some kind had to be hired; if you had to do some construction to make your home more handicappped accessible).

5) "Pain and suffering" if the injury caused signficiant disability, disfigurement, or life impairment which last weeks, months or longer. For more borderline cases, this might be equal to 1 times (or less) your medical costs; for serious, significant, or long-lasting conditions, made equal to 2  - 3 times medical.

The sum of the above is approximately the most you'd get. In a settlement, you accept less than that: for you, you take less because by settling, you get the money months or often years afters, and you incur less legal expenses; and the other side settles to pay less. Most settlement probably are in the range of 25% to 50% what you could get at trial; you should start out seeking around 2/3 or 60% or so of what you might get if you went to trial and won (and remember: it's never certain that you'll win anyway) and then see if you can get them to agree to pay an amount you're comfortable with.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption