Why can my dad’s girlfriend be named as personal representative for probate if they were not registered domestic partners?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Why can my dad’s girlfriend be named as personal representative for probate if they were not registered domestic partners?

She is considered disabled by the state for mental issues. Doesn’t make sense. My brother and I were told she can’t have the property but she can be the representative. Definitely a strange one there. We are having her sign off because she isn’t capable of such a task.

Asked on February 9, 2015 under Estate Planning, Maine


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Anyone can be appointed executor (personal representative) for probate as long as the person is mentally competent to handle those tasks.  The fact that your dad and his girlfriend were not registered as domestic partners is irrelevant regarding her appointment as executrix.

Since she is not mentally competent to serve as executrix, you made the right decision by having her resign.  Another executor of your dad's estate can now be appointed.  You can designate someone or the court can appoint someone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption