What to do if I’m being summoned to court?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being summoned to court?

I was charged with possession or delivery of drug paraphernalia about a month ago. When I went to pay for my ticket they said I wasn’t on the system. I went 2 more times to check it out and even called but when I called the lady said she didn’t have nothing yet but that they would call me if anything popped up. Now I am being summoned to go to court next month and I just want to know I am not being charged with not showing up to pay when I waited about half a month and still had nothing.

Asked on October 22, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If they are only asking you to appear in court on the drug charge, then you are only making an appearance for that reason.  If you were also sent a summons for "failure to appear," then that would mean they were accusing you of not properly following up on the ticket.  So, show up, see what they have to offer, then go from there.  Before you make a final decision, however, you may want to review the recommendation with an attorney to make sure that you are getting a fair deal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption