Whose responsibility is it for water leaks and water damages caused by the leak from a plumbing pipe inside two units’ floor and ceiling?

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whose responsibility is it for water leaks and water damages caused by the leak from a plumbing pipe inside two units’ floor and ceiling?

The plumbing pipe is branched off from the main pipe and serves the upper unit, but not getting inside the upper unit yet. Water leak damaged the lower unit. Should the upper unit caused damage, or the lower unit had damage, or the HOA be responsible for the water damages on the property?

Asked on July 31, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Responsibility depends in part on who was responsible for maintaining the section of pipe that failed: if it was outside the upper unit, that is most likely the HOA, since generally unit owners are only liable for what is inside their unit.

However, resonsibility for maintenance is not enough to establish liability, or an obligation to pay. Liability also depends on fault, such as a failure to maintain or fix a pipe if there was some sign, symptom or warning that there was a problem, like a small leak, a drop in pressure, visible parts of the pipe (if any) showing corrosion or cracks, etc. If there was no reason to suspect a problem and the pipe simply "let go" without warning, then the person or entity otherwise responsible for it most likely did nothing wrong; and if they were not at fault, would most likely be liable. In that instance, anyone damaged would have to rely on their insurance for compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption