If my condo unit is being repeatedly damaged and no one will fix it who do I sue – the management company or the board?

UPDATED: May 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my condo unit is being repeatedly damaged and no one will fix it who do I sue – the management company or the board?

I have been fighting for more than 1 year with the management company to fix the exterior stucco wall (approximately 3 feet by 10 feet) that lets the water come in onto the ceiling of my unit. Every time it rains the spots on the ceiling are moist (right next to the outside wall). They send different constractors and everytime I am told that board will review damage estimation and vote on it but nothing happens afterwards. I spoke to property manager, board president, whole board, my neighbors, you name it. What should be my next step to make them fix it?

Asked on May 24, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Speak with a real estate attorney who has condo experience (it's slightly specialized), but it will probably be the case that you sue the board AND the management company--there is no limitation on how many different parties you can sue, if they all are potentially legitimately responsible for culpable. The management company would clearly be responsible since they manage the property; but the board oversees them, making them responsible, too. You will probably seek both monetary compensation--e.g. for having lived with repeated damage--and more significantly, an order (injunctive relief) requiring that the repair be finally made. You have rights--you just need to take the legal action to enforce them. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption