Who would be responsible for accident involving an unlicensed minor?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who would be responsible for accident involving an unlicensed minor?

My daughter was parked in a parking lot when her vehicle was hit by a car driven by a 15 year old girl. The car also had dealer tags. There were other young ladies in the car but none were of legal age. The police were called but since it was in a parking lot my daughter was told that they have no jurisdiction and could only provide an incident report. Before the officer arrived adult member’s for the girls family arrived and the girl got in their car. She even refused to get out and speak with the officer. The officer ran the insurance information and it came back valid. The girl was not ticketed for driving without a license. It would be easy enough to prove she was driving as the business has surveillance cameras. The dealer tag came back to a dealership that upon googling has three different addresses and all are boarded up. When my daughter contacted the insurance company they told her that the policy was no longer in effect. She called back a second time and didn’t even identify herself and was instantly told that she would have to contact her own insurance company. When she called the number provided during the information exchange she asked for the contact name she was given and they stated he was unavailable and he has never returned a call. Even in a parking lot shouldn’t the girl or a guardian been ticketed for driving with no license and/or no legal licensed driver with her? And who is responsible for the damages?

Asked on July 3, 2019 under Accident Law, Kansas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The registered owner of the vehicle that hit your daughter's car is liable for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your daughter's car. The driver should have received a ticket for driving without a license.
Since the registered owner was uninsured, your daughter's recourse is to file an uninsured motorist claim through her own insurance company to have her car repaired.
If your daughter does not have uninsured motorist coverage, her only recourse is to sue the registered owner of the at-fault vehicle for negligence. Depending on the amount of damage to your daughter's car, she may be able to file the lawsuit in small claims court.
Upon prevailing in the case, your daughter can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee. A monetary judgment can be enforced with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption