Who to Contact After a Car Accident

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

The law of the state where the accident happened determines what reports must be made after a car accident. Typically, reports should be filed with police, your insurance company, and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Police or other law enforcement: If the accident causes a personal injury or when property damage exceeds a certain dollar amount, such as $500, you are required to report the accident to police. Officers may take reports over the phone, but sometimes you have to make those reports in person at the police station.

Your insurance company: Most auto insurance companies require their policyholders to promptly report a car accident. The time frame can be VERY short and failure to notify the insurance company within that time frame may result in a denial of coverage. Check your insurance policy to see what notice requirements apply to you.

The insurance company will want all of the basic information to help its investigation – and sometimes may want a recorded statement. However, it may be prudent to contact an attorney before giving a recorded statement – especially if you believe that the insurance company is recording the information in order to deny your claim. See How to Report Your Car Accident to the Insurance Company for more.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV): State DMV offices usually keep accident reports on file. For example, California requires every driver involved in an accident causing personal injury or property damage in excess of $500 to file an SR-1 form. Typically, a DMV report must be filed within five or ten days of the accident. If you fail to report to the DMV, your driver’s license could be taken away, regardless of fault. If you or someone else was injured in the accident, it may help to consult an auto accident attorney before filing the DMV report.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption