If a sheriff is involved in illegal activities who should he be reported to?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a sheriff is involved in illegal activities who should he be reported to?

In AL.

Asked on April 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are several possibilities:

1) County prosecutor;

2) State attorney general;

3) If he's violating federal law (including tax law or code), you could report the sheriff to--

a) the FBI

b) the IRS or Treasury Dept.

c) ATF (Alcohal, Tobacco, Firearms)

d) U.S. Attorneys Office or Justice Department

4) If you have municipal police where you live and the illegal activity is fairly egregious or dangerous, you could report to them.

5) State police

6) Or non-official, but possibly helpful, the media and let them investigate.

For choices 1 - 5, if the activity is illegal and deserves action, but the first agency you report it to is not the correct one (e.g. doesn't have jurisdiction), they should suggest a more appropriate agency or group that you can call next. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption