Who’s responsible for paying for recovery costs of a grass fire on Bureau of Land Management land?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who’s responsible for paying for recovery costs of a grass fire on Bureau of Land Management land?

My son and 2of his friends were playing with fireworks on BLM ground when one of his friends started a fire. My son and another kid received citations of having and using fireworks. The other boy was cited for starting the fire. A bill of $35k was presented to the boy that started the fire while my son and his friend only received a ticket for $275. Will we be liable for part of the $35K bill? What type of lawyer should I contact for more help, a general practice attorney? In Washoe County, NV.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your son and another were cited for having and used fireworks and received a ticket for $275.00 for what he did on BLM land and the third child received a bill for $35,000.00, then law enforcement/BLM have determined that your son and the other with the $275.00 fine were less culpable than the othe with the $35,000.00 bill.

I suggest that you retain an attorney to deal with the situation for your family as soon as possible. My thinking is that you should send a check for the ticket for $275.00 as soon as possible for payment in full and hope that your son will not be assessed part of the $35,000.00 costs of fighting the fire.

A general practice attorney should be able to assist you in this matter.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption