Who maintains the home – the deed holder or the person who has a living Trust and lives on the property?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who maintains the home – the deed holder or the person who has a living Trust and lives on the property?

My mother was the sole owner of the home. She made a life estate policy that had her as grantor and me as the remainderman. She recently passed away. From what I understand the deed has transferred over to me. However, my stepfather lives in that house and has says he has a living Trust. There are some major repairs that need to be done, and I don’t know if it is my responsibility or his.

Asked on August 19, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If your mother had a vested life estate, and you had a future remainder interest, then upon her death, your remainder interest vested, and you should own title free and clear.  However, your mother and stepfather may have made other arrangements that you are not aware of.  For example, if your stepfather is a life tenant, then he is responsible to make sure the property does not fall into disrepair, and for paying property taxes, too. 
Because you are dealing with real estate, you should consult with an attorney to look into this matter.   
I hope I answered your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption