Who is supposed to fill out the QUADRO forms and follow up with the process?

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is supposed to fill out the QUADRO forms and follow up with the process?

I just got divorced a month ago. I have a retirement plan trough my employer and the divorce agreement only says that my ex-wife is entitled to a percentage of it until the day the divorce was signed. I called the retirement plan office and they told me that a QUADRO form and process has to be completed. I didn’t know about this. I am the person with the money in the account who should give a percentage to her. So should I contact my attorney and go through this QUADRO process or this is something she has to do? If no one does it, how will the money be distributed when I retired?

Asked on February 24, 2011 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, one of the attorneys for the parties helps to prepare the QDRO (Qualified Domestic Relations Order) in accordance with the law in your state AND in compliance with the plan in which it is held.  There are many finanicial and legal issues that are involved here so I would seek help in all of this.  Call up your attorney that represented you in your divorce. This should have been part of the paperwork (either from your attorney or hers) if you were already retiring.  Get some advice here as to the matter.  You may have agreed to who is preparing it in the other paperwork from the divorce.  Find out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption