Who is responsible for outstanding utility bill after purchasing a property at sheriff sale?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible for outstanding utility bill after purchasing a property at sheriff sale?

Good afternoon,

We obtained property at sheriff sale. However when we went to turn electric on
there was a past due bill of over 3000.00. Who would be responsible for paying
this bill? Can we request that the bank that was selling it at sheriff sales
reimburse us? Or should previous owner be responsible? Please let us know. Thank

Anna Truba

Asked on December 7, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Whomever incurred the bill (presumably the previous owner) is ultimately responsible, but you will almost certainly my have to pay it in order to get service (the utility is allowed to not connect a property with an outstanding bill); you then have to sue for reimbursement if you deem it worthwhile (e.g. if you think they'd have the money and you can collect from then).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption