Who is responsible for a tree limb falling from my yard and damaging my neighbor’s car?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible for a tree limb falling from my yard and damaging my neighbor’s car?

A few weeks ago there was a strong winded thunder storm that knocked a tree limb hanging over my house onto my neighbor’s property. The limb put a ding on the trunk of my neighbors car. My insurance company says that type of damage is not covered. My neighbor is very adamant that it’s my responsibility to pay for the damages. I really need to find what KS law says on this.

Asked on August 8, 2011 Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would be responsible if you were negligent, or unreasonably careless. That means that if there was reason to think that the branch posed a threat, such as--

* the tree was obviously diseased or dying

* if the limb appeared too be dead or injured/damaged

* if the limb was too long, so it was unlikely to keep supporting itself, and/or was visibly drooping

* large branches had already fallen from that tree

* etc.

--then you should have taken some action, such as prunning it back, because that's what's expected of the average reasonable person (to addresss threats or risks). On the other hand, if there was no reason to think the brach posed any sort of risk and it really was just an "act of god," so to speak, then you would most likely not be liable, or financially responsible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption